Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happy Shark Week Everyone

This week is The Discovery Channel's Shark Week.


When I was 8 years old I watched Jaws with my family. It absolutely terrified me.

I wasn't an easily scared child and I often relished watching B-grade horror movies with my Dad. The 1980s version of the Blob and Critters were two of my cheesy, gory favourites. The more gore, humour and jump factor, the better.

But I couldn't stand Jaws. I spent the entire time with my head buried in a book. Life of Mammals I believe.

A few months ago I started a 30 before 30 list, which I'm still to complete, and on it I wrote "swim with sharks". I think it's my only fear I'm yet to conquer.

If anyone has any info I'd greatly appreciate it!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emma, this post interests me for many reasons. The lack of knowledge about sharks has caused massive decline in shark numbers, and this will affect the ecology of the oceans worldwide.
    Fear of sharks is not just about the shark itself. The environment of the sea is a place of unknown possibilities, humans have no idea what is down there.
    The merciless ferocity of the sea is embodied in sharks, even if more people die from being stomped by elephants or hit by lightening.
    I'm not saying sharks are harmless cute and cuddly. Sharks are a vital part of the ecology of the worlds oceans, and humanity is the alien there.

    ReplyDelete